PHASE 2 CLOSED AS OF JUNE 30
Dominion Hills Phase 2 Procedures
Procedures are subject to change based upon guidance from Arlington County (including the Arlington County Health Department), the Commonwealth of Virginia (VA), applicable federal authorities and Dominion Hills’ insurance provider.
Novel Coronavirus, COVID-19, has caused a public health crisis and placed an unusual level of stress and uncertainty on all of us. As such, DHARA members must adhere to the Amendments to the DHARA 2020 Rules and Regulations to Address COVID-19 during such time as COVID-19 is presenting restrictions on DHARA operations.
- The danger of exposure to the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 exists.
- By entering the pool grounds, you take responsibility for your own protection and for disinfecting your hands and anything you touch in the pool area.
- In order to reduce the risk of infection, members must follow all DHARA Rules & Regulations, including recent amendments to address the COVID-19 crisis, and these Procedures.
- Do not use the pool if you have a cough, fever or other symptoms of illness or have displayed such symptoms over the past 14 days.
- Maintain at least 10 feet between you and other people who are not a part of your household.
- Wear a face covering when you are in the bath house. We strongly recommend that you otherwise wear a mask when not in the swimming pool.
- Members using the pool should only do so understanding that (1) staff will not know who is infected or not, (2) anyone using the pool may be infected, and (3) it is vital to their own health and the health of our community that they adhere to the proper procedures to limit exposure by staff and other members.
Updated Phase 2 Requirements
- VDH guidelines mandate that our pool may be open for lap swimming, diving, exercise, and instruction only.
- While in the water, with one exception, all swimmers must maintain 10 feet of social distancing. The exception is that one family member may help a swimmer that needs assistance with exercise in the pool.
- No more than 3 people may be in a swim lane at any time, from the same household.
- While in the pool, members must engage in structured exercise. Free/unstructured swim is not permitted. More on this below.
- Members may relax on the pool deck as a family group. However, while on the pool deck, each family must maintain 10 feet of social distancing from other families.
- The baby pool must remain closed.
- Members may not bring guests.
Updated Phase 2 Procedures
During Phase 2, members will be offered two types of reservations. In addition, the DHARA Board is coordinating with the swim and dive teams to initiate instructional-focused team practices starting in late June/early July.
The two types of reservations are:
- Lap swimming
- Household exercise
The following procedures apply to lap swimming:
- During weekdays, lap swimming reservations will continue to be for 30 minutes.
- On Saturday and Sunday mornings, 45 minute reservations are available.
- As before, each membership can make 6 lap lane reservations per week.
- Up to 3 swimmers from the same family may share a lane under the same reservation. If more than one swimmer is using a lane, the swimmers must maintain 10 feet of social distance while in the pool.
- Swimmers from different memberships/households may not share a lane.
- There are no age limits for other lap swim sessions. Swimmers age 9 or older may swim laps unaccompanied. Any lap swimmer who is 8 or younger must swim with a parent, guardian or age 15 (or older) sibling in the same lane or an adjacent lane. If the older swimmer is using an adjacent lane, the older swimmer will need a separate reservation.
- Any child swimming in the lap lanes who has not previously passed the DHARA swim test, must be accompanied in that lane by a parent or guardian.
- Swimmers unable to swim for the entire 30-minute reservation must immediately exit the premises. Members will not be allowed to wait on the deck until the reservation time is complete. During lap swim, seating areas within the DHARA grounds are off limits due to strict state rules regarding disinfection of any seating area between reservations. Tables are only available during household exercise time slots.
- As before, lap swimming is defined as continuous forward motion in the pool.
- Except in an emergency situation, no two swimmers in adjacent lanes should ever stop at the same end.
- Members must not wear face coverings while swimming, other than goggles.
- During lap swim, bathrooms will be for emergency use only and limited to the family bathroom between the men’s and women’s bathrooms. The showers and changing areas in the bathrooms will not be available for use. If you use the facilities, please utilize one of the disinfecting wipes that are made available in the bathroom to wipe down the toilet/urinal/stall areas when you are done.
The following procedures apply to household exercise:
- While in the pool, members must engage in structured exercise. Free, unstructured recreational swim is not permitted by state guidelines. Examples of structured exercise include lap swimming, water walking, treading water, water aerobics, use of a kick board, hanging on side of pool while kicking. Pool management will post a list of approved activities.
- Dominion Hills will not have any kickboards or other swimming equipment available for usage. Members may bring kickboards, paddles, fins and pull buoys for personal use only.
- There will be 12 total available areas of the pool: (1) three deep lap lanes in the main pool, (2) three shallower lap lanes in the main pool that will be roped off in three perpendicular sections (3) the “tank,” which will be roped off dividing it in half, and (4) the dive well, which also will be divided into 4 sections for treading water.
- Each reservation will last 90 minutes. We will accept 12 reservations during each 90-minute session (one for each section of the pool).
- All individuals associated with a membership number may enjoy DHARA during a reservation.
- Upon check in, you will proceed to an available pre-arranged socially distanced table on the pool deck. Please refrain from rearranging the table/chairs. Staff will ensure the tables are properly socially distanced.
- While on the pool deck, a single family need not engage in social distancing from one another. However members must maintain 10 feet of social distancing from members from different families.
- Please select one of the 12 swimming areas for use upon your arrival.
- All members using the same membership number must use the same swimming area at a given time (for example, brother cannot use the tank while sister uses a lap lane).
- Members are encouraged to rotate usage and share different parts of the pool during the 90 minute time slot — you will not have a dedicated area that is yours alone for the entire reservation.
- If a pool area is in high demand, we request that members be courteous and limit their use of that area to 30 minutes. Upon exiting an area, you may proceed to use any other area that is not occupied. We also request that members reserve areas with shallower water for those members requiring access to shallower water in order to enjoy the pool.
- We ask that members be understanding and self regulate usage of each section. Any concerns can be brought to the attention of the manager on duty.
- Only up to 3 swimmers from a family may use an area at a time. Swimmers from different memberships/households may not share a reserved area.
- While in the water all swimmers (including family members) must maintain 10 feet of social distancing. The exception to this rule is that a family member may help a swimmer that needs assistance with exercise in the pool.
- There are no age limits for use of the pool during household exercise. Any child who is using the deeper end of the pool must have previously passed the DHARA swim test.
- During your reservation, you may move back and forth between your table and water. Please maintain 10 feet of social distancing as you move about.
- During household exercise, all bathrooms will be open, but should be used for emergencies only. If you use the facilities, please utilize one of the disinfecting wipes that are made available in the bathroom to wipe down the toilet/urinal/stall areas when you are done.
- The showers and changing areas in the bathrooms will not be available for use.
- There will be a 30 minute break between each reservation so staff can disinfect all public areas.
Phase 2 Hours of Operation
The following will be our operating hours until further notice.
(four 30-minute reservation periods)
(three 45-minute reservation periods)
(three 45-minute reservation periods)
(five 90-minute reservation periods)
(five 90-minute reservation periods)
(four 90-minute reservation periods)
(two 30-minute reservation periods)
(two 30-minute reservation periods)
(six 30-minute reservation periods)
Number of Reservations for Each Membership
The number of reservations permitted varies by reservation type.
Each membership will be allowed six reservations per week for lap swim as available. Keep in mind that a single reservation now allows up to three swimmers with the same membership number to use a single lane.
Each membership will be allowed one reservation per week for household exercise upon availability. Keep in mind that your whole family may come to the pool together to enjoy this reservation.
Management and the DHARA Board will be evaluating these limits as we go and may adjust them based on actual usage.
NOTE: If there are open slots that have not been reserved in advance, members can use the open slot(s) on a drop-in/walk-up basis, first come, first serve. This does not count against a membership’s weekly reservation allotment — and any reservation made will be honored, right up to the last minutes.
Drop-in users during household exercise time or, during Phase 3, recreational swim time will be granted access to the pool 15 minutes after the start of the time slot.
How to Reserve
Members must reserve their time slots in advance via our online reservation form. You will need to log into the Dominion Hills website to access the reservation tool.
For Phase 2 household and lap reservations – Time slots on or after June 20:
Need help? Also see our Reservation System User Guide
When you log in, you will see available slots for that day plus the following week. As such, members can make reservations up to one week in advance. Weeks start on Sunday and end on Saturday.
Members must wait in their cars or in a designated area until their reserved time. At no earlier than 10 minutes prior to each new swim session, members may line up on marked spots in front of the check in area. A staff member will signal each member to approach the check in area for check-in.
Check-in and Screening
All staff and members will be screened prior to entering the pool. Each member coming to use the pool will:
- Check in with staff.
- Answer questions about COVID-19 health symptoms and potential exposure.
- During household exercise time members will be briefed on allowed structured swim activities.
- Confirm that they have read and understood the COVID-19 amendments to the DHARA Rules & Regulations and waiver releasing DHARA from any liability in the event that they contract COVID-19.
Members must wear masks during check-in. Only when the screening parameters have been successfully completed by the member will they be allowed to enter the pool area.
Members will enter via the front gate (pylons/cordoned off as 2 separate areas) after checking in. Arrangements will be made with members of limited mobility to enter through our ADA entrance at the rear gate. Members must wear a mask to enter the bath house. Otherwise, masks are strongly encouraged to be worn on the rest of the Dominion Hills property.
During lap swim, members will be assigned to either the blue or red end of the pool for entry. The pool deck will have arrows making clear which end is blue and which is red. Upon entry, swimmers will place clothes in a designated chair for his/her designated lane.
During household exercise, members will be assigned a numbered table. Please proceed to your numbered table. With the exception of equipment to be used in the pool (goggles, kick board, etc.), keep any belongings at the table for the duration of your stay.
Avoid touching any railing, fences, tables, barriers, etc.
Members are strongly encouraged to put on their face covering once they are out of the pool. At the end of the reservation, members must leave the pool area through the back gate immediately, wearing their swimsuit and with all their equipment. Any items left may immediately be discarded.
The availability of bathrooms varies during lap swimming and household exercise. Please see the detailed guidance provided above. Bathrooms will be for emergency use only. The showers and changing areas in the bathrooms will not be available for use.
Shower at Home
Dominion Hills requests that every member shower at home before coming to the pool and be ready to enter the water immediately after entrance wearing his/her swimsuit and with all necessary equipment.
No food, coolers, or grilling will be allowed. Members may only bring personal water bottles. Please fill your water bottle at home as the water fountains and sinks will not be available.
Dominion Hills will not have any kickboards or other swimming equipment available for usage. Members may bring kickboards, paddles, fins and pull buoys for personal use only.
Other Areas of DHARA
All areas not described as available for usage in the lap swimming and household exercise procedures above will be closed and off limits.
DHARA will allow entrance for up to 6 reservations for lap swim. The maximum occupancy during a lap swim session is 18 members.
DHARA will allow entrance for up to 12 membership reservations for household exercise.
All members will be expected to follow the above described social distancing guidance per state and county guidance.
Dominion Hills will open and operate with a limited number of experienced/senior staff members and lifeguards. Staff members will be provided with masks and gloves.
Staff will use proper personal precaution when providing medical aid, avoiding mouth to mouth or mouth to mask resuscitation. Staff will use a bag-valve-mask or positive pressure ventilator. Additional precautions will include, at a minimum, gloves and masks.
Physical Barriers and Guides
Staff will provide physical cues, pylons, or barriers (for example, lane lines in the water or chairs and tables on the deck) and visual cues (for example, tape on the decks, floors, or sidewalks) and signs to help ensure that procedures are followed.
Members must provide their own personal protective equipment (PPE), such as face coverings, gloves, etc. Masks are required during check in and to enter the bath house. Otherwise, masks are strongly encouraged to be worn on the rest of the Dominion Hills property.
Membership Revocation or Suspension
The management has the right to ask anyone to leave the grounds. Any members not following the procedures listed above may be suspended or lose their member privileges in accordance with the provisions in Section 8 of the Dominion Hills Rules.